Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Friday 5/27 thru Monday 5/30/16 resting in SF

After the emotional rush from the final day of the climate ride and sleeping out doors on the ground for 4 straight nights it was like heaven to stay with friends in San Francisco. And what wonderful and generous hosts the Davis family always are.


This was the view from my room with daughter Hannah in the next room over on the 5th (counting the garage) floor of the most incredible neat old house I ever stayed in. It was close by the Presidio a short way from downtown. And the Davis family gave us each a door key and together and separately Hannah and I explored the city on our bicycles. 


The Davis's neighborhood. 


Brooklyn girl in San Fran.


But first we made a much needed shopping expedition to the Sports Basment. A store like the Arcadian Shop, my favorite "go to " place for biking and now touring and camping gear at home. But this place was enormous, about 10 times the size of the Arcadian. And I, being the words worst shopper because I get distracted, unfocused, confused and then frustrated to the point of making really bad decisions had Hannah, a real pro to help. 


The result was a very rare for me pleasant and successful shopping experience. I met and was advised by Angelo a seasoned and experienced cycling touring guru who had done bicycling touring all over the world. I upgraded my gear with a rack and a pair of great waterproof panniers. 




On my day of exploration I rode over to one of the most interesting neighborhoods in town the Mission district where my son Harry worked in a great coffee shop last summer and was fondly remembered.



It was a holiday Memorial Day weekend and the city was alive with activity. 



I had some real quality time with my daughter Hannah and the Davis family. I landed right in the middle of the NBA frenzy of the Golden State Warriors down 3 to 1 against the evil Oklahoma Thunder and became a good luck fixture for the amazing backs to the wall comeback by the Warriors. Together we watched 2 of the games together and it was great fun.

Then on Sunday I rode the BART over to the East Bay to Casper Valley to my friend Kevin's. Kevin who had done the boarder to boarder ride in 2013 wold be my personal guide for he remainder of the trip.


Kevin my personal guide serving me breakfast ......


.....at his estate mansion in Castro Valley.....


Then on Monday we rode trough the East Bay Regional Park District........



......to our friend Randy's house, where we had a great reunion at his fabulous house from our 2012 Pacific to Atlantic ride.


The next morning the journey resumed when Kevin and I headed south on the next leg of the trip.










No comments:

Post a Comment