Friday, April 17, 2015

Wednesday in Beaufort and thru Savannah, Georgia

Billy and I both woke late sleeping through our alarms. He had a charming and well appointed, immaculate home on the water that overlooked the city just across the bay. It was filled with the most fantastic collection of folk and regional art imaginable. 


...."Diversity is Delicious" ....


The view from Billy's front porch....




I finally set off after lunch and seeing Mayor Billy at a ground breaking for a new fire station. The sun was out and Billy was booked for the evening entertaining som out of town politicos and I had more miles to ride. First I took a few more pictures of Beaufort for Sarah. So far Beaufort gets my nod as a possible winter get away from the cold New England winter.


After leaving Beaufort I was soon back on RT 17 headed for Savanah. The going was good on some nice back country roads until the Savana River and other lowlands rivers began to limit my route to the busier state highways.

At this point I travelled some of the least cycling friendly roads of my life. I have photos and some day I hope to become more politically active so no other thru rider has to suffer what I did. 

I finally crossed a huge modern new bridge into Savanah and got a glimps of the state capital dome and passed through the city. Savanah is much more industrial than I expected but downtown had the charm and remnants of an the old southern city that it is. However with the unfortunate first impression from the State of SC it will not rank very high on my list of potential warm climate for my sweetheart.

I ended the day by exiting the city in a rainstorm of epic proportions but with arrangements for a "warm showers" host in the suburb of Richmond Hills I rode through the rain knowing I would be able to get warm and dry at the end.

I arrived as is typical to a party. This time the celebration was running club at a local atchletic store that was having a send off party for 6 runners that were leaving to go to Boston for Mondays Boston Marathon. Needless to say a cyclist who had ridden to the party from Boston (Stockbridge....Boston ...their MA geography was weak). I was immediately dubbed Boston Al.

After the celebration I had a restful night and met Sonya from Bulgaria and her 2 sons about to enlist in the military.




1 comment:

  1. Now you are traveling in style! Nice job hanging with the Mayor!

    ReplyDelete