Saturday, June 23, 2012

Another day in paradise, is what I would call today, about 75 to 80 degrees, sunny and dry. It was a relaxed day, or that was what I made it, by, in my usual fashion, leaving last. Only today, after proving my metal yesterday one of the most difficult days on the ride, I stayed at the back of the pack. I wanted to get to know the other 49 nutters on the ride. I am calling this the ride of "50 days with 50 nuts". Who else would rid a bicycle across the country?

Today was a tough 82 mile ride into Baker City with climbs over 3 passes, which now are up to about 5200 FT elevation. Then some 6 to 8 mile descents that are breathtaking. I have topped out at almost 50 mph so far. But I wanted to recover so I relaxed and rode in the rear of the pack and found that that is where they were having the most fun. I also took the time to take a lot of photos and chat up lots of folks, as I pulled a few up some gradual hills and through today's slight headwind. At the request of a dis-satisfied reader, I will try to include pictures of some of the penguins.

This one is of Mike a 64 year old retired college administrator from Davenport Iowa who slammed front wheel first, landing on his head (with helmet), into a concrete filled steel post designed to keep cars off the bike path in Portland. After a trip to the hospital, a new bicycle and one day off he has resumed riding. Today completing the entire ride. He was also examined by a neurologist and brain surgeon both riders.

Lastly, before signing off, especially for Bjarne and anyone else wasting time reading this blog when they should be working, I show a photo of the sales call I made today for EV Systems. Note the foundation that is undercut causing the silo to lean and also the huge birds nest on top of the bin vent. I ask Duncan since he knows birds for an identification. To me it looks like an osprey, but this is a long way from the coast of Maine.

Also Larry .... note the free advertising!!! Thanks for the shirt.


5 comments:

  1. I have known for years that when it comes to business Alan is a "poacher". This makes Alan as far as i am concerned the "King of the Poachers". Only Big AL can find a way to drum up business when he is riding a big across the USA that is not in his territory.

    Bjarne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alan,
    What about the food!?!?
    You are looking great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan, that is a harrowing story about the penguin and the post and the head slam. Be careful out there. I am loving the blog so keep the stories and the pictures coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you're representing the Arcadian! Big Jer shoulda gotten your friend with the black eyes a Riggs shirt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY again! Thanks for the shout-out to the ARC SHOP! You look great. More good weather to come. Sue and Larry

    ReplyDelete