Friday, June 22, 2012

Today was a great day of anticipation because although we have been riding pretty hard with 6 to 80 mile days, today was 117 miles with 2 big climbs of + 2,000 FT. Most of the penguins (this trip has become sort of like the movie "March of the Penguins") were a little antsey and nervous at our 6 AM breakfast for the 7 AM start. Not so for Charlie, my roommate and I who, as has become our pattern, were not pulled together until 6:30 and among the last to leave.

These 2 pictures were typical of today's terrain. There were lots of high bluffs and mountains interspersed with some really flat sections of mostly open grazing lands. I took these pictures of the canyons because the flat open areas were a little boring. There was almost no traffic until we got into John Day, Oregon where we are staying again tonight. I found out why we needed to go the long 117 miles ..... there was nothing ... nada ....in the way of civilization except one very, very small town all day. Good thing the tour is supported with 3 Sag stops where we could get water, power bars, fruit and a lunch if we had packed it.

By now hopefully the majority of the people who have nothing better to do and are reading this blog have seen the pictures and left the site, so I will report on how I did on today's grueling ride .... well, in spite of, or maybe because of a leisurely start and leaving a half hour late, I was able catch up to almost all but about 3 or 4 of the riders. Charlie who dropped me in the first few miles, (I am very slow to warm up) fell victim to some broken spokes in his rear wheel or otherwise would have been with me at the end. I rode hard and finished by about 2:15 PM and felt really good. After a great hot shower a subway sandwich and cleaning up I promptly took a nap. Tomorrow we get up and will do it again riding about 80 miles to Baker City.

I feel like after 3 days of laying low in the back with lots of socializing and picture taking, today I did myself proud and proved that I can ride with the strongest on the ride.





4 comments:

  1. Alan,
    As I sit here with Ed and Bill we are astonished at the 117 miles - uphill no less.
    It sounds like you and Charlie are a great team.

    XX
    Moi

    ReplyDelete
  2. great work Alan....Mary and Steve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan,

    Thanks for all the updates. Very impressive that you can write, after all the other stuff! Great to see the photos and hear about the rides. Take good care, Jeannie W.

    ReplyDelete