Monday, June 18, 2012

Here I am leaving to start the journey with the Pacific Ocean and the constant Oregon rain in the background. Note the slight bulge in the mid-section where I have thoughtfully stored up many good meals to be held in reserve to burn as needed when fuel intake cannot keep up with the pace. Also with me is Picasso as I have named my my trusty bicycle. It is a first class ride; a Cannondale carbon fiber frame that puts me once again in a place that I like, where my bicycle is worth more than my car.

This was actually taken yesterday (Sunday) when we all independently took a short 14 mile ride from the hotel out the the beach to "dip our wheels". Today the ABB Team, all 50 of us, got an early start between 7 and 8 AM in a cold driving rain leaving Astoria, headed east. Most of us rode alone or in small groups. As is my style, I left last along with my roommate Charlie. That way no-one ever passed us and I could catch up with, chat up and meet, getting to know some of my fellow riders. I finished the 69 mile day having overtaken about half of the group. It is mostly an older crowd with mid 50's being the average age.

It was cool, but not cold by New England standards and rained almost all day sometimes very hard, with only a few brief, but very welcomed patches of sun. We went east along the Colombia River with a few modest climbs in and out of the valley to the Best Western in St Helens. In spite of the rain it was a great day and a fantastic ride. There were some very picturesque mist shrouded views, some amazing trees and interesting people.

Tomorrow we head through Portland and begin to climb up toward Mt.Hood. It is not predicted to rain as much so I will try to take some pictures.

4 comments:

  1. Good thing you had that Maine-weather-training! Hang in there with the rain, you will be wishing for it later in the trip! Prudy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Alan, go! Looking forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if mid-50s is the average age, you're above average (not to mention good looking).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture. I thought you were planning to go au naturale for the Pacific ocean dip. Personally, I'm glad to see that you have your clothes on---but surprised as well. I hope the rain eases up and you have some sunny days on the road during the first week. Hope the roommate situation is working out. I am so proud of you for blazing this trail.

    ReplyDelete