Saturday, May 28, 2016

Friday 5/20 Entering CA

Friday thankfully was another beautiful day with again a really nice tailwind. I talk a lot about the wind because for a cyclist it is really a big deal. On a day with a strong headwind in your face you can be peddling hard all day long and struggle to make 60 miles and average about 8 or 10 miles an hour with rests, but with wind at your back then 80 to 100 in a day can be less work. 

Fortunately since I needed to cover about 175 miles in the next 2 days the wind being in my favor was a savior. 


The roads were clear and smooth so by late morning I entered California!!!


I noticed a difference immediately, with better roads and more signage.


.....and the same incredible scenery. Although the river valleys seemed to become broader and the land a little more flat with fields and agriculture 




The beaches were still beautiful and empty.




Farming was more prominent and the farms more prosperous.








I passed through Crescent City into my first stand of redwoods and spent the night on a Reservation in a Holiday Inn in Klamath CA. 

I showed up for a raucous birthday party at the only place to eat in town.......a real working mans bar with very good pizza. It was dart night and the darts were flying.


As usual, the folks were friendly and welcoming and great fun was had by all.











No comments:

Post a Comment