Sunday, May 15, 2016

Tuesday 5/10/16 Headed North to the Puget Sound and Oak Harbor

Leaving early I had to make a stop at Verizon to try and resolve some IT issues and to Fed Ex to send a package of unneeded items I couldn't carry home. 

Now a bit late I was finally on my way. I headed out on a fabulous bike path. Heavily travelled with commuters. There was a steady stream of them headed into the city.


I wasn't feeling great, low energy, wooden legs but I thought it was the slac days and the plane ride.

After about 30 miles I made it to Mulketeo and the first of my great rides on the Washington State ferry system.


The ferry as always was a great rest and a chance to talk with fellow cyclists. I met a lady who lived on Whidbey Island where I was headed. As a stroke of luck she told me about a free bus, with a handy bike rack, that travelled the island. Since I was not feeling my best I decided to ride the short way up a hill just after the ferry landing in Clinton. 

But it was just past noon and lunch, I was feeling low on energy and in the comfy bus I dozed off. Suddenly it was nap time and those who know me well know that I BELEIVE IN NAPS. I had set my goal for the day another 40 miles at the State park at Deception Park which would have been a long hard day, probably unattainable with a moderately steady headwind. I napped for an hour and 30 miles.

 .
What a stroke of luck because while napping I figured out that e stomach cramps was the same diverticulitis I had had previously. An infection in the lower digestive tract that I am sure was causing the general lack of strength I was feeling. Thinking about it, I am sure that the cause was the 4 packages of nuts I ate on the flight out. We had been delayed for 2 hours and I missed dinner and with no food on the plane I was hungry and ate the only food available NUTS. Well enough about my bowels but at least I knew what was the problem. 

With the help of the bus/nap I was able to stay on schedule and slept in a 
Beautiful State poke at Deception Pass. 


View at sunset


An interesting story on how it got the name Deception Pass.

I slept well but a little worried about my attack of Diverticulitis.



No comments:

Post a Comment