Sunday, May 15, 2016

Wednesday 5/11/16 Ferries across the San Juan Islands

I woke early and broke camp to ride the 12 or so miles north to Anacortes where there was an 8:30 ferry to Friday Harbor on San Juan Island. I had a bit more energy after yesterdays nap and a good nights sleep. 


The views were terrific with the snow capped peaks in the distance.

I caught the ferry and the ride was picturesque to say the least.



We passed through narrow channels and spectacular views. Then into Friday Harbor, which was quiet  remote and definitely unique. My friend Bob from Stockbridge who told me not to miss this spot was right and for this I thank him. Bob if you read this, all I can say is, why did you ever leave? What a fabulous little town.... Quiet ..... and in need of a drummer.

I wanted to spend the night, but it would take another whole day and with having lost 2 days with Helen's late arrival I had to take the last ferry out to Canada.

I made the international crossing to the Vancouver peninsula then rode south to Victoria BC. 

There was a great bike path that took me right into Victoria. 


Beautiful country .......


A first class bike path.



Very friendly people. With some light industry, maybe I could find some work here.



I wanted to stay a few days here because my friend Steve raved about the city and it is everything he said. Great Chinees food, friendly, a sence of history and PALM TREES. 



Yes Sarah we should move here to Canada if Trump gets elected. PALM TREES in Canada.


Great street life and a picturesque harbor.


But I needed to move on to make up for the 2 lost days if I was going to meet the Climate ride and daughter Hannah in Eurika on the 20th. So I boarded the Black Ball Ferry that would take me back to the USA and Port Angeles.


I was headed across the Straight of Juan de Fuca toward the mountains in the distance and Olympic Penensula.


I finished the day to a state Park where there was another Hiker/Biker camp site waiting. 


This one had a field of old farm equipment and I slept in a freshly mowed field and had a hot shower after a long day.








No comments:

Post a Comment