Thursday, May 19, 2016

Wednesday 5/18/16 South to Coos Bay

Wednesday began with an early morning breakfast in the small fishing village across the street from my  motel in a very local breakfast spot as you can see.


I joined in with the locals for a very entertaining listen. There were some fishing stories and the latest gossip on the state of affairs in Coos Bay Oregon.


Some photos that hung in the diner attested to the hardiness of the captains, crew and the fishing fleet that sailed from the harbor.


I headed off into a pretty nice day with a favorable tailwind. 


The traffic was non existent and I followed the coast dodging into the lush green forested and then back out to the coast with small harbors and sheltered coastal villages.





The day remained sunny and clear but chilly in the mid 50's


By late afternoon I continued to pressed on to make the mileage I needed to make Eurica CA by Saturday. 


The coast was dotted with several light houses and some nice vacation resorts 


The scenery was spectacular and I followed the Oregon bike trail that was nicely marked and was often off of the main highway, Route 101


By late afternoon however I could feel a change in the weather and the cool steady tailwind behind me from the north began to look ominously threatening.


....and by evening, 6 to 7 PM as I approached Coos Bay, I saw a familiar site.......a large bridge shrouded in the fog looming in the distance. This time crossing the Rogue River.



I manage to reach the bridge in time entered Coos Bay Oregon and found some very friendly ladies at a welcome center who directed me to  a nice affordable motel just outside of town. I spent the night again in the comfort of a bed with sheets and a pasta dinner in the only place to eat in town. 


No comments:

Post a Comment