Wednesday, July 11, 2012

It was a hot day for a 117 mile ride today, so we left early. I went out as early as allowed at about 5:15, thinking I was one of the first out. But before leaving I took a quick spin through the small town of Wall. I wanted to get this 120 mile ride in before it got to the predicted 95+ temperatures. There was a strong wind out of the south, so most of the day there would be a strong cross wind that at times would be a tailwind as we headed in a northeastern direction to Pierre. It was not a day with the wind in our face where I absolutely needed to work with a group, so I headed out alone thinking that when I was caught by a group I wanted to ride with I would settle in.

This is the terrain for the day in central North Dakota. One picture says it all. But in amongst the long straight a ways there were a lot of long rolling hills. And as I rode, feeling unusually chipper and spry at 5:30 AM and as I chatted up and passed some of the friendly and more mellow riders, I could see ahead one by one what turned out to be some of what I thought were the stronger riders. Feeling pretty good I wanted to get this ride over before it got too hot so one by one I chased down and was surprised to be able to overtake 4 or 5 guys who on other days, especially early on, I never could have caught. When I finally caught Tim from Virginia, who is way too serious, rides hard every day and was pissed that I caught and passed him, I knew I was having one of those days and was "in the zone".

Too make a long story short, I out ran the first SAG stop and at the second SAG was all alone. I was just leaving the 2nd SAG (a beautiful shaded spot) after I had eaten my lunch with Cathy (from MN and on the support team), when a pace line of the strongest riders came in. Bud from San Diego, a great guy and also one of the strongest support riders was leading the line. I probably had about 10 minutes head start on them for the last 35 miles of the 117 mile ride. I figured, based on my past performance, or rather lac of performance on my part in the mountains,  and they all thought they would reel me in, dying in the heat as I faded out there alone. But I surprised everyone, especially myself when I finished, tired and hot with no water, exhausted and totally spent but sitting with a smile alone on a sand bar in the cold Missouri River as they rode in over the bridge into the central time zone!!!. A ride I will never forget and probably never duplicate because hopefully I will not be vain enough to attempt again.

The sand bar along the Missouri River where I swam after today's ride. The bridge we crossed was just behind me.

Charlie my roommate and some other friends got confused and thought today was my birthday and got me a cake. I was thrilled and very gracious and used it as a kick off for tomorrow my real birthday when I expect there will be some real celebration!!! As I have been saying to everyone ...... I am 38 tomorrow ...... that is 38 years until I turn 100.

Love to all!!!

7 comments:

  1. Great story Alan. That is some terrain you sent pictures of. Bleak. It is 12:23 a.m. Eastern Standard Time so I'm hoping I am the first in this time zone to wish you a very happy 38th birthday. Welcome to the Central Time Zone. You are almost home LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo--happy birthday, Alan!!! Love from Winchester!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, Alan! From my experience, being 38 is actually pretty good. I'm enjoying reading about your amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALAN!!!!!!!
    You are rocking it out there!!!! Very proud!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go Alan!
    In the zone feels pretty good, at 38, 48...on and on...

    Bon Anniversaire!

    XX
    Moi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday from the Yarmos! We'll celebrate when you get home!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great picture!! Glad you could celebrate with your new friends :)

    ReplyDelete