Sunday, July 8, 2012

Leaving Wyoming today and entering South Dakota on a 92 mile ride today that was deceptively hard due to 2 long climbs and a stiff head wind for the 2nd half of the ride. The terrain was  interesting but not spectacular, very desolate as we approach the Black Hills and Mt. Rushmore tomorrow. We hit the road at 6 AM, too early to call home, the 2 hours difference made it 8 AM. And all morning I tried to call home because Harry and Hannah had both just last week returned from Ecuador and Spain respectively and I knew Sunday morning with the waffle iron was the breakfast  tradition and I wanted to talk to everyone, but below is where I was ...... with no cell phone reception all morning.
Eastern Wyoming
A single glimpse of civilization came with this picture of Wyoming Powder River basin coal moving east.


I have been very remiss in documenting some of the road kill for my good friend Jane. So today I was on the lookout and found what was once an antelope along the road. 



I also enclose another picture of my bicycle from yesterdays swimming spot an cold river perfect for icing down my legs at the end of the day. Something that has become a tradition for me and which I am beginning to attract some followers as Kevin a Maine native now in San Francisco soaked in the Fall river today in Hot Springs SD.

Tomorrow it is a 75 mile ride that includes Mt Rushmore and ends in Rapid City, SD.

2 comments:

  1. No waffles on the ride?!
    That is quite the road kill...

    XX
    Moi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alan, of course the picture caught my eye first and I was so delighted. I would never have guessed antelope. But then when I read that you took the picture with me in mind I was over the top with excitement. Thank you. I think it is a very fine specimen. On Saturday I was driving to the Albany airport and actually IN ALBANY on the side of the highway were two huge turkey vultures, right there in the Capitol of the Empire State, having a little roadkill breakfast. No waffle iron in sight for them. Thanks for the fabulous picture. Send more roadkill along the way because I'll bet you are seeing some fine examples.

    ReplyDelete