Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Out of the Black Hills and into the Bad Lands tomorrow with a stop tonight in Wall, ND. Today was a hot and very dry but relatively short 57 mile day. There was not much variation of scenery as my friend Cliff who grew up in Rapid City said "there is not much out there east of his home town. So inspired by the positive feedback and interest in the "road kill" my photos from today are focused there. We got a late 8:30 start and it really got hot by the time I finished around 1:00 it was very uncomfortable.

Antelope along I90

Downtown Rapid City

Road east of Rapid City

Close up of above. I think it was some sort of a cat, it had cat like claws. Can anyone identify this poor soul?
Tomorrow is supposed to be one of the toughest days yet with a 120 mile ride to the capital Pierre, which is pronounced "Pier" as in Pier 8 in Booth Bay. If the wind is from the east it could be tough.

5 comments:

  1. Jane and I looked at the road kill together while we talked on the phone - that is some cat! Jesus cat - laid out there like Jesus on the cross (reference from you know who!)

    Rapid City looks like they have had some rain. John Tarrant, former priest from St. Paul's, is the Bishop of South Dakota and works out of Rapid City. Small world. Especially if you need a priest to look at the cat.

    More road kill pictures please. Gallery: Road Kill of America.

    XX
    Moi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Alan,
    Thanks for thinking about me with Ed. Good company. I had my best ride on Sunday. A little over 40 miles, average cadence of 75, good pace and 3 climbs. I was thinking about you the entire time. You are my man.
    I know you have used my pursuit of my musical dream as an inspiration for your trip. Because my dream was a recording, by its nature, I will always have a record of it and be able relive that achievement for the rest of my life. Your dream come true is not as easy to record and cherish.
    I was talking to Tack and we both agree that your writing is very impressive ( especailly for an engineer ). So my suggestion is to really put your heart and soul into each post, take multiple pictures and when you come home send out the best pictures with each day's post and have a book made of your amazing adventure. Couple that with the video that your fellow penquin is making and you got the memeries covered.
    Mary and I are off the Spain very soon. But we will be thinking of you and following your daily rides with pride and affection. Keep it up and have fun,
    Yarmo

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOT a fan of the road kill photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  4. More road kill.

    Thelma and Louise

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Road Kill documentary project. I think it is very important. I have never seen an antelope running around the wilds of America (despite what the song says) and I'm sorry to see that so many of them seem to run right into traffic---especially since it looks like there is very little traffic out there. You are an excellent photographer and I appreciate your ourvre with the heavenly animal kingdom. That first picture is a beauty---not something we see much of in Berkshire County. The dead cat looks more familiar. In Berkshire County style---"do you think it is a bobcat?" Like Steve, I am in awe of your endeavor, your writing, your enthusiasm for hard work, and of course, your photography. Keep on bikin'

    ReplyDelete