Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Into Millau



Day 18 began with an early wake up by the sun having slept outside. Fortunately it did not rain and at the high elevation the air was dry and had not dropped below the dew point. So I was dry.

I started with a huge, long, close to a 6 mile descent .....


 ......  into the small village below where I had some breakfast and a visit to the tourismo office. 


....... and help to find a room, not for tonight because I had called and rebooked the room I didn't use last night, but since tomorrow was Sunday and the offices would be closed for Sunday night.


I'm not sure of the problem but I was told by yet another gorgeous young lady that the area I was now traveling toward was a National Park "Le Parc Naturel Des Grands Causses" and there was nothing in the way of a room. Intrepid as I am, I pressed on with unshaken yet innocent confidence. 

Again after the decent I began another slow gradual climb. But the landscape was now very different, much dryer and less agricultural. It was more like ranch land and reminded me a little of last years ride through Idaho although with ancient towns and villages.



Toward afternoon, although hot, I took a side route with a voluntary climb over and then down to the Tarn River so that I would enter the city of Millau along the river from the north. I had heard a lot about a famous bridge, said to be the worlds BIGGEST. Being an engineer, this I had to see.

I survived the hot long climb and descended to the river and into yet another ancient town; St-Rome-de-Tarn. 




Though I had a room for tonight I was aware that I had no place to stay for Sunday night when I was told I would be in the National park on a weekend with no tourist office to help. So I stopped in at the local office that had not yet closed.

There I was in luck ..... and I met not, a cute young lady, but of all things another cyclist who not only gave me great guidance on my route for the next few days, but found me a room for Sunday night, directed me around a big hill for an incredible ride that afternoon under the bridge into Millau and printed me a map for my room that night, which I never could have found.


Ironically his name is Amerigo (American) and now although having enjoyed and being grateful for the cute young ladies I will hope for a young man who is a cyclist.

The ride into the city of Millau was great and, as advertised the incredibly modern bridge that arose from the ancient villages and landscape was truly impressive.




Pictures couldn't capture it. There were 7 of these huge spans and the claim the the BIGGEST, or as the French say "grand" comes from the fact that being both very high and long, the area in square feet under the bridge is more than any other in the world.

My room in Millau was very American, outside of town along the freeway, like a Holiday Inn. It reminded be of last years ABB ride across America, but better than nothing in a medium sized city.










No comments:

Post a Comment