Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Through Pau to Maubourguet

Today began with some easy riding down to the village Orolon, where I had a coffee and crousont. Then I bought a loaf of fresh bread some local cheese and a piece of cheretzo sausage for the day and at a fresh fruit stand some delicious cherries, plumbs and peaches. I rode through the fairly big city of Pau staying along the river and then skirting south of town and out to the east on a bike path mostly through a park. I have found a really good set of maps put out by Michelin. They are really detailed and since finding them I haven't gotten lost.

What I saw of Pau was interesting, in that, although having an old center, it was a new city and resembled the USA more than anything I ever saw in Spain or so far in France. I even stopped at a McDonalds to use the Internet.

Once through Pau the riding was mostly rolling hills through agricultural land. There was some thunder and some big clouds rolling in, but only a slight gentle rain shower that was very pleasant and cooling.


I saw some rolled up hay bales late in the day and was tempted after myhistory last summer in South Dakota. But with the clouds and distant thunder I took the prudent course.


 I had heard from Mike my Aussie friend that rooms were hard to come by in this area, with everything being filled up. I headed into the small town of Maubourguet to see what would show up for a room. The town looked dead as I entered fairly late at about 7:00. I stopped at one pension and they had no rooms. Then I saw 2 young cyclists loaded down with gear. They went down a side street to a campground. So I followed them in. They were 2 young lads from Oxford England and after they got a camp site I also spoke to the lady in charge and since I didn't have a tent I was given a small sheltered wooden "lean-to" as we used to call it when I was in the boy-scouts. There was a nice bathroom area with hot showers.

This is a look at the camp site. 


Tonight I will, sort of, sleep outside. And I hopefully get a good nights sleep having discovered another option for a shower and a bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment