Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Unbelievable ...... Col de la Croix de Fer to St Jean Maurienne

Today began after a restless night because I was part way up a climb today to over 2000 meters. I persuaded Isabel my host to cook me up 3 eggs in addition to the normal wimpy French breakfast of bread and jam. I took off relatively early at 9:00. 

It was a beautiful day with not a cloud in the sky and I had an absolutely fabulous day and since pictures speak louder than words I will say little more but show a lot of pictures.......


The climb began with a modest descent which I didn't like since it meant more to climb.


 Then up .....


...... and up past a dam and reservoir ......


....... and up some more .....


...... and up until there were no more trees, but the "hills were alive with the sound of music". 


 ..... then a last push to the top.


Unbelievable, as many cyclists as cars ..... But on such a clear and warm day at the top a real party.


....... with many hard core young good climbers having a great day? Among them was the crazy old American with a touring bike with his sleeping bag, fenders and the ever present bouquet of flowers .... each one picked as another excuse for a rest.


After lunch and basking in the glory of the summit at 2067 meters for awhile .... the descent !!!!!!



Trying here to capture what it looked like from my view over the handle bars......


...... and down with the peaks I had almost touched now in the background.


The top and the early descent were like going through "play-land" with mountain bikers, hikers, hang gliders, and lots of hot young cyclists on light fast bikes .... and then there was the the old guy with the white beard, the flowers and the sleeping bag. What was he doing up here?????


Someone had hiked up and cut a nice slalom run down this glacier after the big stomach on Monday.


This decent was down through and under the ski lifts and I felt as though I could be in Steamboat or Aspen making a ski run. 

Duncan and Bobby Kerr and anyone else who skis can relate to my frame of mind on this decent.




Finally the valley below ...... but much to my chagrin I was not in Italy but still in France. 

I found an inexpensive hotel and a bike shop for maps, tightening of my break cables, a new pair of shorts and some advice for another big climb to Italy. I also found a nice Chinees restaurant.

The advice for crossing to Italy from several sources has been mixed. It comes down to 2 choices ....... a long and difficult climb over the Col du Mont Cenis to 2084 meters ..... or the even more difficult (some say impossible for an old guy with a touring bike and 2 months worth of gear), climb to 2646 meters through Valloire and the Col du Gilibier.

This is what I will ponder tonight!!!!!!

Meanwhile my hosts for the night.

 
....... and a young Spanish couple I had dinner along side of who were here on vacation from Barcelona, both were cyclists who alternated days riding while the other looked after their clearly very tired young son.



Tomorrow my decision on how to go to Italy .......





.










No comments:

Post a Comment