Thursday, July 18, 2013

Next day to Lavaur and figuring out France

The day began with sleeping late. I was in a moderate hotel but they had a breakfast included. It was great, a French version of an American buffet. No eggs but croissants, yogurt, fruit, bread, and corn flakes, but best of all a full pot of coffee, where I could help myself to my usual 2 or 3 cups at home.

The day was looking up and I began what is always the best part of the day ..... the ride.


I have been surprised by how entrenched the Catholic Church is in France. I expected it in Spain but in France the influence is even greater.


Although sometimes the Big guy seems a little compromised as this view of a carnival being set up shows ......



As I now approached Toulouse in the early afternoon. Two things were working against me causing some anxiety. One being that Toulouse was a big city and second was the difficulty I had yesterday in finding a room. 

I had remembered that last year in Flourie when Sarah, Chico, Cathy and I were there, they had a tourist information center in town with a young lady whose job was to help the tourists. I had gone there a lot to get internet for my laptop. I HAD to work and it had NOTHING to do with the fact that she was young, very pretty, helpful and loved Americans. Well, when I came to the last old historic town before the big city of Toulouse, I thought to stop in to ask at the similar official information center, about calling ahead for a room.

What a great idea!!!! The tourist office in this small town was just like in Flourie. There to help were 2 young ladies, not busy and who just loved having an American visit. It helped them keep their jobs to have visitors and they kept a log of who came in and from where. I showed them my map and where I was headed and they began to call ahead.


 Things were booked in Toulouse. But for a room in a nice town a little east of Toulouse, they went to work.


 Someone had told me to get a phone and call ahead for a room, but I resisted the idea, since I didn't know any French or know who to call. This was much better. 


Finally success!!!!!

 I had a room reserved in Lavaur about 25 miles past Toulouse. I think I now have France figured out. Not better or worse....... just different! Viva la difference. 

Now I know the first place I will stop tomorrow ....... at the local office le touristimo to line up my room for tomorrow night.

With a room awaiting, I could ride into the evening, my favorite time to ride, knowing I had a room reserved. I had 25 miles to go after getting through Toulouse ..... So I found a nice spot ........


for dinner ........


Later I had some desert and a nice glass of wine after my shower that night.


The landscape with the setting sun on the way to Lavaur.



2 comments:

  1. Uncle Al! Got the link and am now following. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to Lacoste if you are the hood!!! It is where I studied art! xopru

    ReplyDelete