Saturday, August 10, 2013

A relaxed day to Verona .... with a unwelcome surprise ending

After the harrowing afternoon ride into Montova the first thing I did after sleeping late was to visit the Information office to get some route advice. They advised and told me about a bike path north to Largo di Garda a big lake backing up to the mountains and then west to Verona. 

Although this was a longer route to Verona the bike path with no traffic and not having to think about my route almost all day sounded great. Beside the lakes that back up to the northern Alps were said to be beautiful.

So after a few departing pictures of Montova ......


...... the view from my window ....


The entrance and sign for my Hotel

I set off for a relaxing day .... and it was relaxing, with the biggest danger being from oncoming cyclists ...


..... whole families and lots of tourists...


The whole way along the path we followed a Flume  which was a controlled river or a huge irrigation ditch.



..... the spot where I had my picnic lunch .....


The whole thing was an incredible plumbers engineering delight, with side channels taking water away and gates and spillways.

I kept following it upstream until the source .....


..... first this ..... and then the lake .....


...... not much of a beach, but beautiful with mountains off in the distance on this hazy day.


After a quick swim to cool off the ride east to Verona was an easy 25 miles. With some more beautiful vineyards.



........ and grapes.......



Because of the swim, photos and my generally relaxed state of mind I rolled into Verona a little late about 7 and hungry. Having had no trouble, easily finding a nice modestly priced room ever since entering Italy, I decided to have dinner and enlist the help of the waitress and dinner staff, something that usually worked well when the tourist office was closed.

What a surprise to find that the entire town was booked solid. We called around everywhere and nothing. Verona it turns out is the 3rd biggest tourist city in Italy.

Desperate as it got dark I rode out toward the periferal highway where there were some big hotels. Still nothing ...... it was all because of the opera.

Finally out of options I went back to an old stand-by I found a hay-bale and unrolled my sleeping bag.
The hay was plentiful, soft, warm and dry ........ And I slept like a baby !!!


Never a dull moment and just when you relax, .......

No comments:

Post a Comment