Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Great day to Castell'Arquato

The fist thing I did on this Wednesday morning was get a map at the local Italian information office. It was not the nice Michillen map like I had in France, but free and very good. With a nice route planned for the day I headed out. 

First checking out the neat little town of Bobbio. They have a big local film festival, and have a claim to having been home to many writers including the American Ernemsto Hemingway. Also this old mid-evil bridge.


......... which I crossed to start the day. .......



....... I missed getting a good picture of it on the road out but was anxious to get going so I didn't go back for a better shot.


The morning ride was typical beautiful Italy with small back roads through well kept farms and vineyards.


Some light industrial of the Italian style and I was tempted to write off the day and make a few sales calls.



.......   a nice touch with the roses and the Italian flags at this plant.


...... all in all it was a low key uneventful day......... with a few nice churches and castles thrown in along the way.




Some farmers pumping water and doing their work.....

As the afternoon wound down I passed through a picturesque little town that just had a really nice feel.  Castell'Arquato, with lots of activity and people out and about I stopped for a gelato and right then and there decided to make it my home for the night, deciding that 52 miles was enough for the day. I needed some time to catch up on my blog, see the castle in town and have a nice dinner and get to bed early.

As I ate my gelato in a park a mother her daughter and little baby walked by also with ice cream and as any good politician knows the best way to gain trust and favor is to admire the cute baby. The mother it turns out had lived when younger for 2 years in NY City and spoke excellent English.


....... After going to wok to clean up baby Federico they posed for a photo ......


Federico looked just like the baby in all of those TV adds giving investment advice in the USA.

They called and booked me into a very nice inexpensive B&B right in town that was run by a friend of the mother.

I had a great evening exploring the castle .....



...... and the old part of town. As I had found several times before the old castle was often used as gallery space and here I saw some very interesting art being shown.



I picked up some information with the hope of coming back again when my wife the artist has a show here some day.

The whole town was out that night with hundreds of people, families, young and old in the town park where there was bocci, volleyball, card games, chess and a tennis match going on. As I strolled about, (as has happened before) the young woman now with Federico asleep in his stroller being pushed by her husband rushed up to me to say hello and excited to speak more English. 

Apparently I am easily remembered and stand out in a crowd.


Italians love to walk .....

 
...... below the view of the manor from the castle........


1 comment:

  1. Al - I had no idea you were blogging. Just got on today and read the entire thing right through. You DAH MAN. I'll be reading along regularly and passing this to a couple friends I know will get a kick out of it.

    ReplyDelete