Monday, August 12, 2013

Venice .... Unbelievable

My hotel in Treviso was really nice and lingering over their great breakfast I caught up on some emails and my blog.


The view from my room down a side alley.


My room .....  a typical inexpensive nice but spartan single European room.


I made relaxed tour of Treviso one of my favorite small cities. They call it the "little Venice".


..... the small side plaza where my room was located, and the restaurant where I had a delicious dinner.


Following some recommendations I made the decision to take a train into Venice, rather than spend most of the cycling........ the main city is really a series of islands and access by bicycle was not said to be a pleasant ride. While the trains ran every half hour and it was only a 45 minute trip.



There were already a lot of foreign tourists.

The train put me on the main island on the edge of the city. With big crowds, very small sidewalks a lot of steps, no roads and not another bicycle in sight, I saw immediately it was no place for Hellen my bike. I went a short distance to one of the main ferry and boat taxi hubs and paid 5 uro to have her locked up for the day. And I took the first of what was to be about 6 boat rides that day.

AND I SAW VENICE FOR THE FIRST TIME ......... ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE

From here on only a few comments just some of the many photos I took ....... I just wandered around all day and rode inexpensive municipal boats taking pictures and eating. I did buy one t-shirt to honor my favorite country on the trip.










No comments:

Post a Comment