Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Grado my last day in Italy

After my day in Venice, I woke this morning feeling more tired and wiped out than almost any day yet on my journey. All of that walking really took it out of me. I got off to a slow start, lingering over breakfast, feeling a bit lethargic, without any real plan or goals for the day other than the usual ..... to head east. My room was at a vacation spot, kind of like a mini Club Med. They had activities with dancing and games for all of the hotel and associated campground. There were lots of families.

 I think I was subconsciously feeling sad knowing I would be leaving Italy soon. And Venice is a tough act to follow!

I had left Venice by boat to the east and was now on a "Lido"; a long sandy thin island not unlike the Cape in Mass. or the barrier islands along the NJ or Carolina shore. 

I had forgotten to recharge my iPad/camera so I didn't take many pictures.


The mid day ride on a nice bike path ....


The beach all along the ride.


The afternoon bike path ........

I gained some momentum as the day went on and by late afternoon had to make a decision that woul set the tone for the next few days. To continue on ..... following the train line along the sliver of coast that was still Italy to Treviso, the last city before leaving Italy ..... or to ride south to Grado an old fishing village, turned beach resort on a peninsula across the water from Treviso and take a boat across to Treviso the next day.


Where I sat at the fork in the road to make my decision .....

I took the risk of being able to find a room in the coastal resort town of Grado and headed to the coast. I really liked the idea of the system of numerous boats the hop along the coast ..... Being on the water and entering the cities and towns from the water.

 At first it looked to be a big mistake when the first 2 hotels in Grado were booked. But I persisted and finally found a great place at a reasonable rate (50 uro) with breakfast. It was a friendly and really nice place with many families on vacation and a 5 minute bike to the center of the action. I had a nice dinner and watched all of the vacation activity in the very lively busy resort beach town, with live bands playing in the plaza and people, mostly young enjoying their vacation. 


There were many Austrians and Germans and an arcade, miniature golf ....... but no cars and many many bicycles. It was my kind of town.



No comments:

Post a Comment