Thursday, August 22, 2013

Into Croatia and back on road

Up early the next day I backtracked on the bike path to Koper. It was about 15 miles and I had to ride back past the site if my 2nd fall from the previous day. I recognized the spot and found it hard to fathom how I had fallen so hard in such a benign spot, with the pavement dry it was very different.

In Koper I easily got the funds since Harry, reliable as always had fixed the ridiculous Western Union flaw. Then I rode back again to Portarosa to pay my benefactor and hopefully move on to Croatia. This time I took some pictures.


The Slovenian coast.....


One of the 3 tunnels on the bike path ....


....... very dry and not nearly as lush .......

Back in Portaroz llwhen I arrived at Dona's office I had a big surprise. The police had called her office to ask her if they knew me and to ask where I was because they had found my wallet!!! Everything was in tact except for the small amount of cash, which I gladly would have given as a reward. Unbelievable, not only that someone had turned it in only taking the money, but that the police with only my name to go on had been able to find me in Slovenia! Evidently in Slovenia all foreigners who stay in a hotel are registered and they had a database and called the agency who had booked my room.

Very appreciative I offered to take Dona and her young assistant out to lunch. We had a lot of fun at lunch and ate nochies (a potato pasta) and a local mushroom dish that were delicious. And I got to know some real locals in Slovenia talking about their history under Communism, the war that followed and about things now and what they hopped for the future.

After lunch having just had several days rest I was psyched to move on and I headed for Croatia. I crossed the border about 15 miles later, having to show my pass port and get a stamp for the first time since Spain. Here also the money was different using the Krona. Getting a late start and wanting to put on some miles I decided to ride through the late afternoon and evening. 

It was very rural and hot and very dry, looking like it haven't rained in months.

The bike path I had intended to take was not paved and the surface very rough gravel so I changed plans and went on the road ......



..... the roads were pretty narrow. Less room than in Italy and a sharp drop into the shoulder which makes for a difficult ride and the need for a lot of trust in the cars, busses, trucks and especially the cars pulling campers.

Speaking of campers, here is something very different that i noticed in Croatia, which is the huge number of campers in crude RV campgrounds all, over the place. A Croatia villa is said to be a camper parked, usually permanently, some looking like they have been there in the same spot for years, because the wheels have been taken off and the rims set on their flat side and with shims used to level up the rig. They are everywhere and always with no tires, but rugs and outdoor furniture like a permanent home.

Someone joked that they are a Croatian version of an Italian villa. But the people mostly families are packed into these camps and look to be having a lot of fun. thankfully very few actually are on the road............


The same can be said for sailboats. Every little and big harbor is packed with sailboats, hundreds of them as far as you can see. Most look as though they have never left the dock to actually be sailed and probably would sink if the owners ever tried. But the people are on the boats and use them as a place to sleep, eat and party and have their holiday on the coast.

With energy and feeling good I rode into the evening as it got much cooler and I made a decision to sleep outside tonight. My decision came because it was a beautiful warm, clear night, there was almost a full moon and in a mostly agricultural area I saw many nice looking hay bales in the fields. Beside being in a new country I didn't know the system for getting a room and the few towns I saw were packed with tourists.

After finding a great looking distant empty field, I noted the spot and went ahead to a great restaurant for a delicious fresh fish dinner then came back and set up for the night.

I had a comfortable sleep and enjoyed the full moon and after the moon set a great show of stars.












No comments:

Post a Comment