Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Wine country to Gavi

I began the day relatively early after a great breakfast and packing a picnic lunch. And rather than a descent into the valley I headed up and over through the vineyards. For a change this strategy worked well and I rode through some beautiful low hills and valleys.



I passed through some small towns ......



..... and everywhere Italians having a good time, whether it be in the village playing bocci or an afternoon card game .. 



There were signs of ancient Roman life .......


...... and on every hill top a castle from the mid-evil days.


At this little town I made the climb all of the way up to check it out and eat the lunch I had packed from my hotel. 

It was hard to get a good close up picture because at noon the sun was always there looking up. When I finally arrived having pass through many ancient gates and fortifications 


I found that this castle and unlike some that had been left to fall apart this one had been beautifully restored into a hotel and restaurant. Being Monday it was closed but there was an old guy who worked there. As with everyone in Italy he was friendly and invited me in for a tour all the way to the very top.



....... with a nice view over at the neighbors place ......

After the full tour we sat down to chat and he insisted I join him in having a glass of local wine he had on tap.


..... I just love Italy ..... he told me all about the American cities he had visited when he was young working in the merchant marine. And about the wedding with 150 guests they had the day before. He tried to get me to stay and said a room with breakfast was only 80 uro. But being only noon I had further east and more adventure in store for the day.


...touring more beautiful country with more vineyards and castles I began to think about where to stay that night and when I stopped for an afternoon coffee in a small town  ......


....... I asked the locals and ........


........ with typical hospitality the Italian version of the official French tourist office went to work, to get me a reservation in the next village.


....... and before you could say a riva derchi !!!!!!! I had a room reserved in a town another few hours riding.


With the sun getting low I ended a great day tired and thirsty and stopped at the first lively looking place in Gavi,  my home for the night.


....... In Italy when you sit down and order a beer ....... this is what you get without asking ...... Almost a full meal of appetizers.


..... after a cold refresher I had another great dinner at the hotel in town and a restful night to get ready for my next day.








 










No comments:

Post a Comment