Friday, August 16, 2013

A tough day in Slovenia

Wednesday morning my 42nd day on the road began with a very ominous overcast sky. Up until now with the exception of the first few days in Spain when there was a misty fog off of the Atlantic and the rest day in Grenoble when it poured, I have been extremely fortunate with perfect weather, a little bit hot on just a few days but no rain.

Not only was the sky overcast but the wind was blowing pretty steady at about 25 mph with gusts higher. I know this because when riding with the wind at 23 mph I still had the wind behind me. 


Fortunately it was blowing from the north and I was headed almost due south.


Trieste's main square ......



The flags were pegged horizontal with not a single boat on the water.


The extreme winds had caused the boat I had intended to take getting a jump around an industrial area was cancelled, so I rode south with the tailwind.

After about 20 miles I crossed into Slovenia, which is now an independent country and a member of the European Union using the uro. Once a part of Yugoslavia allied and under the thumb of the Soviet Union it was considered to be behind the Iron Curtain. 

The boarder crossing now abandoned ...... with the old gate and buildings but not a soul in sight.


.... on the Italian or the Slovenian side .....


Things across the border did not seem very different. There was a nice well marked bike path I followed for the rest of the morning.


The path was usually paved but when not paved still in very good condition. I had heard about this great bike path back in Italy and since I had no detailed map I just followed the path. It is difficult when crossing national borders to get maps and information on the next country until you get there. They don't have information on Slovenia in Italy. Then once you arrive there is no one at the border so for awhile I had to ride a little blind.


........ I was usually along or very close to the coast. Until I hit the small city of Koper where I lost the path still couldn't find a detailed map and ended up on a busy road. Then trying to keep heading south-east on a smaller side road I made a big climb that was a mistake. It started raining on the way up and needing a town for directions I continued on until I hit some civilization and a place to get oriented. By now it was raining hard!


Fortunately I met a group of 3 Austrian guys on vacation cycling in Slovenia ......no kidding it really is a tourist destination! They spoke English, had some good maps, gave me one and convinced me that i had to go back down the hill I just climbed. With the rain it had gotten cold and I put on a dry long sleeved shirt and my yellow wind breaker for the descent.

THIS IS WHEN THE DAY TURNED ABSOLUTELY ROTTEN !!!!!!!

  NOTE TO ALL ....... I am writing this long and for most people, boring explanation which I don't expect anyone but my family to read. i write it for myself and because I owe my family and Jane, Corey, Mary and Steve, Vlada and the Pru's an explanation for the emergency email I sent out in desperation. Everyone else can just skip down to the nice pictures.

On the steep descent which i had just climbed, with some nasty hairpin turns, that I was uncharacteristically taking very slowly and carefully .......

.... I  CRASHED !!!!

As I made a steep hairpin turn my wheels just slipped out from under me. I hit hard and skidded about 20 yards on the steep incline. I was bruised on my left hip and my helmet hit hard. But due to having been wearing the windbreaker, the long shorts and my helmet I was bruised but okay and had no road rash and there was no blood. I thought that I had just been careless.

A lot more cautious now and pissed off I continued and found the bike path again. Here I have no pictures even though the path was really nice and must have followed an old railroad because there were no hills and twice went through some really cool tunnels, one 1/2 kilometer long.

The roads were wet but the rain had stopped and about 20 miles after the fall I was starting to feel better Then as I went slowly around a gentle downhill curve on the bike path ......
  BAMM .... I WENT DOWN AGAIN!!!!    

My wheels again just flew out from under me. Unbelievable! I just sat there in a daze. I fell on the same hip which was now really sore and swollen and also my left shoulder really hurt. I got up and pulled myself together and checked out my bike. Helen was fine and the tires, although worn, had the right air pressure and decent rubber. Then while just standing there I almost fell on my ass again.

I checked the pavement and it was as slick as though it had grease or a coat of oil on it. I later was told by a policeman and several other locals that this is common in the summer when it rains after a long dry spell. And indeed I saw 3 ambulances fly by that afternoon and several other places where car accidents had happened.

By now I was pretty shaken up and VERY VERY cautiously I rode another 25 miles to the town of Portorose a busy but very nice beach town. Fortunately Slovenia has great tourist information offices which I found easily. Because I was a little shaken and dazed and in no condition for any more adventure and since this looked like a great town I immediately looked to book a room. 

In every country the process is different and here I learned that you had to go to a booking agent who was just around the corner. With my bicycle locked and my passport in hand I walked over to see the booking agent. She had left a sign on the door to say she would be back in a half hour or so. Still feeling shell shocked I sat on the front stairs and waited and after about an hour she arrived and although the town was filled to the brim she got me into a really nice sounding place just a mile out of town. Here I have to make a correction to my previous and original post when I said my wallet was stolen. My wallet was not stolen but had been lost previously in the day.

I only had about 50 uro in it because cautiously I don't carry much cash, but it did also have my Lee Bank card which was my only way to get cash at an ATM. Fortunately I had my passport and also fortunately the lady at the booking service was very sympathetic and nice. 

Thank my lucky stars, my good karma and Hannah that I had this IPad. Because that is how I sent the email to you all, asking in desperation for the first one to be on line and get the email to call Sarah .... and within 30 minutes I was able to Skype and talk to Sarah about going to Lee Bank to arrange to wire me some cash. 

This is Dona who helped me out, got me the room on credit until I could get some cash and even lent me money for some food.


The day ended well with my body a little battered and bruised and my funds slightly depleted but with help on the way, my spirits still strong and my sense of adventure still alive. 

Tomorrow I will rest and recover because by now the banks were closed and tomorrow is a Slovenian national holiday and banks are closed all day.

I rode up the hill just outside of town in the dark to the little dacha where I had a room for the next 2 nights to recover.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Alan,
    A bit of bad luck after weeks of good fortune. I hope you are feeling better and back on Helen. Keep on finding the good in all situations. We are so proud of you. Peace and love,
    Mary and Steve

    ReplyDelete