Thursday, February 13, 2020

An amazing day to Pilon

I started out early with food and mucho agua because my hosts and fellow riders said that although beautiful, the days ride would be remote with no towns and potentially bad roads and many hills. 



My always reliable alarm clock. 



The road flat and started our fine. It was pinched between the sea and the Sierra Maestra mountains where the highest peak Pico Turquino is almost 2000M, twice the height of Mt Greylock and in a huge national park. 

Then it got a bit dicey.....





I had to walk a quarter mile or so several times. At other times the road climbed up and over the headlands. With steep climbs and thrilling descents. 








It became very remote and for 50Km I saw no cars but many animals, quite a few men on horses an occasional cart with people or cargo. 







The guys on the horses were amazing and I always received a friendly greeting. But I didn’t feel right getting photos. Same for the many carts hitched to horses loaded with all sorts of things and people young and old. Carts usually had 2 big old pneumatic tires and bounced along to the beat of the horses hooves. 




And the busses/trucks filled with people. I will try to post on that subj tomorrow. I have also taken an array of bicycle photos. 





No comments:

Post a Comment