Sunday, February 23, 2020

Sadly winding down to come home

  
   I am enjoying my last few days and looking forward to getting home. The past 3 days since Cienfuegos I covered some ground getting up early and leaving at or before dawn. Riding in the morning is comfortable and very pleasant. But I’m usually finished of riding by noon. 






But yesterday as I approached the north side of the Island for the first time along the Atlantic. It became slightly cooler and there were some clouds then more.......



Then a lot more clouds ....... and then the wind picked up as I headed into Matanza ..... a pretty big town



Fortunately I was into town but with no reservation for the first time I simply headed for shelter in the big fancy hotel on the Main Plaza. 

Lucky because then suddenly a real tropical downpour. Off and on from about 2:00 Pm though into the night. With rain the pavement can get very slippery from oil and no rain for 2 weeks and with wet horse and animal poop not very nice wet slurry to ride in 

You know me .... safety first. 

Fortunately I have a day to spare and I’ll stay in this nice hotel and do some overdue reading and writing 

The Hotel Louvre in Matanzas on  a rest day. 







All day long not a single mile and I never left the plaza. 



My room..... 



A great nap in a fabulous room with 20 foot rooms .... a renovated Colonial era gem. 



The view from my room overlooking the Main Plaza 

Tomorrow a long ride back to Havana to meet some friends and pack up to go home. 

The end sometimes gets hectic and I might not post again until home. 

Alan on the road 

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful hotel. And I am so relieved to hear that you agree with "safety first" I approve this message.

    ReplyDelete